Thursday 2 July 2015

Imagine! This Final Year Student Dumped Medicine For Mass Comm After 10 Years In The Course

Imagine! This Final Year Student Dumped Medicine For Mass Comm After 10 Years In The Course

 
 
Ismaila Mansur Akolade aka Alfa Esin is a 31-year-old student of Mass Communication at the University of Lagos. He left University of Ilorin just 2 weeks to his final exams. Giving reasons for his decision in an interview with The Nation, he said:
 “Principally, my action was due to the fact that I never wanted to be a doctor.I was initially in medical school because I had to follow my father’s bidding. He wanted me to become a doctor but when I discovered after 10 years that it was not going to work and that my professional life was going to be nastier and more horrible, I took the decision to leave and follow my dreams.
I refused to be held down by the medical certificate because I reasoned that if I should write the final examination, it might make me drift away from my dream of studying Mass Communication. Perhaps, I was the most unserious medical student UNILORIN has ever come across. I spent 10 years in the medical school, four of which was due to failure.
After the whole saga, especially when I came to study Mass Communication, I discovered that my failure was not due to an inability or mental incapacity to handle medicine; it was because I was just never interested in it. I will not want to feel the way my father felt when I left. If I put myself into his shoes, I won’t want a son to do to me what I did to my father.

No comments:

Post a Comment